A friend asked me for a syllabus on architecture and cybernetics. I don’t have a comprehensive syllabus on the subject, but I did send him a short list of readings that have informed my thinking about architecting from a systemic perspective. I thought you may get value from this list as well, so I’m sharing it here. The resources are in no particular order.
- The Architectural Relevance of Cybernetics by Gordon Pask (PDF)
- The Architectural Relevance of Gordon Pask by Usman Haque; for historical context on the previous item. (PDF)
- Architectural Intelligence by Molly Wright Steenson; for historical context of the subject in general. (My book notes.)
- The Sciences of the Artificial by Herbert A. Simon
- The Art of Systems Architecting by Mark W. Maier and Eberhardt Reichtin
- Notes on the Synthesis of Form by Christopher Alexander (I also have my students read Mr. Alexander’s A City Is Not a Tree; PDF.)
- The Architecture of Emergence by Michael Weinstock
What major resources have I missed? Please let me know.