Do you want to improve the effectiveness of your digital product?
You need to learn information architecture, the design discipline focused on structuring experiences so they’re more understandable.
IA: WTF? is a new online cohort-based workshop that teaches foundational IA concepts in practical terms and gives you hands-on experience with key IA practices.
Who this workshop is for
- UX designers working on complex products or websites
- Product managers who want to drive better user experiences
- Anyone else who shapes digital products
The first cohort will be capped at 12 participants.
What you’ll get
All tiers include:
- Six live 90-minute learning sessions
- A one-on-one onboarding meeting and an optional one-on-one debriefing meeting (30 minutes each)
- Individual (offline) feedback on assignments
- A dedicated Discord channel to discuss assignments and class topics with your cohort
- A certificate of course completion
In addition, the Full tier also includes:
- Six live 60-minute open office hours sessions (one per week for the duration of the workshop)
- A physical copy of Information Architecture for the Web and Beyond, the fourth edition of the “polar bear” book
How will it work?
- The workshop will last six weeks, from July 26 to September 1, 2022
- Each week will include a live learning session and an open office hour
- Each learning session will be 90 minutes long
- Sessions meet Tuesdays at 08:00 PST/11:00 EST/15:00 GMT/16:00 CET starting July 26, 2022
- Open office hours meet Thursdays at 08:00 PST/11:00 EST/15:00 GMT/16:00 CET starting July 28, 2022
- Learning sessions will include lectures, breakout groups, pair discussions, class discussions, and more
- Open office hours sessions provide additional space for Q&A and feedback
- There will be assignments between sessions; participants will get feedback on these assignments offline
- All sessions will be held over Zoom and Mural
Session 1: IA fundamentals
Introducing IA. How to talk about IA without sounding like a librarian. How humans categorize stuff. The IA process.
Session 2: Understanding the domain
Researching the business context. Researching the system’s content. Researching user needs and expectations.
Session 3: Modeling IA
Clarifying the product vision. Understanding user mental models. Understanding system models. Creating conceptual models that bridge the two.
Session 4: IA components
How to design effective navigation, search, labeling systems, and metadata.
Session 5: Communicating intent
How to communicate IA effectively with collaborators and stakeholders. Sitemaps, wireframes, prototypes, and other means of communicating intent. Validating IA directions.
Session 6: The big picture
Aligning information architecture and product strategy. Ethical concerns. Managing change over time. (I.e., governance.)
About the instructor
Jorge Arango is an information architect, author, and educator. For the past 25 years, he has used architectural thinking to bring clarity and alignment to scores of digital products and services.
He’s the author of Living in Information: Responsible Design for Digital Places (Two Waves, 2018), co-author of Information Architecture: for the Web and Beyond (O’Reilly, 2015), and host of The Informed Life podcast. He’s also a former president of the Information Architecture Institute.
Besides consulting, writing, and podcasting, Jorge also teaches in the California College of the Arts graduate interaction design program. He’s also taught IA workshops for private organizations and public conferences around the world.
- The first cohort begins on July 26 and ends on September 1, 2022
- Learning sessions meet Tuesdays at 08:00 PST/11:00 EST/15:00 GMT/16:00 CET
- Open office hours meet Thursdays at 08:00 PST/11:00 EST/15:00 GMT/16:00 CET
Again, we’re capping this initial cohort at 12 participants — buy soon.
Please email me if you have any questions.